Hunger is a year-round issue. As North Carolina is fifth in the nation for having the most seniors and children (1 in 5) who are food insecure, PORCH – South Brunswick is coordinating monthly neighborhood food drives to help ensure our local resources (Matthew’s Ministry, IFC Food Pantry, No Hungry Child or Brunswick County Senior Resources, Inc.) can meet demands.
The PORCH collection model simplifies the donation process as it brings the food drive to your neighborhood. The second week of every month is PORCH – South Brunswick collection week. We had our pilot month, Dec 2020 and collected 1,116 pounds of food! We currently have collections in:
- Boiling Spring Lakes
- Caswell Beach – The Arboretum
- Holden Beach
- Oak Island
- St James Plantation
- Southport Neighborhoods:
- Hamilton Realty Group
- Harbor Oaks
- The Landing
- Marina Village
- Smithville Woods
- Southport – 11th Street Downtown
- The Village at Southport
ABOUT PORCH: Started in 2010 in Chapel Hill, NC, PORCH is an all-volunteer, grassroots hunger relief organization that has collected and donated more than $2.1 million in hunger relief across all their communities.
- PORCH Communities: https://porchcommunities.org/ ·
- PORCH – South Brunswick Community Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PORCHSouthBrunswick/
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Be A Neighborhood Coordinator – Pick up: During the collection week, coordinate food collection in your neighborhood, on your street or even your cul-de-sac. Whether you collect from 2, 20 or 200 houses – we need your help!
- Be A Neighborhood Coordinator – Drop off house: During the collection week, coordinate food collection in your neighborhood by being a central drop off point. Email neighbors, post on Facebook/Next Door about the collection and items needed and then take the donated items to the sorting site for that month.
- Donate Food: Reach out to us email@example.com and we will let you know if there is a coordinator in your neighborhood or where the closest physical drop-off location is that month.
- Supporter/General Volunteer: Help with monthly collection and/or food sorting.
- Make a Tax-Deductible Donation – Donate Here (Please include “South Brunswick” in the NOTES Section)
- Like us on FACEBOOK / Follow on Instagram:
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PORCHSouthBrunswick
Founded by Mary Beth Livers and Kate Livers, PORCH South Brunswick joins the growing network of PORCH affiliates.